Half a Month There on Foot

You will find me at the corner of Speed and Power

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Giant Monkey

Giant ape, really.

Somebody at Thanksgiving dinner made some kind of snide remark about the trailer for 'King Kong,' "It looks like computer game graphics!" Well, no, it doesn't. It looks damn good. The CGI is just a by-product of the story.

The 1933 original 'King Kong' had a huge impact on me. Still does. Every time I see images from the Peter Jackson version I feel eight. Not many things make me smile with glee and uncynical delight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10216525/site/newsweek/ links you to a Newsweek piece on the movie. My favorite quote, from co-writer Boyens, gets me way too excited about December 14th. I know it's hyperbole, I know it's smack talk, but c'mon, if anybody could deliver the goods, it's Peter Jackson:"I know I shouldn't say this," she begins, "but when other directors see this movie, they're going to f---ing give up."

2 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mir said...

You're not alone buddy.

Sitting in Harry Potter with ma and pa this weekend we saw the preview. Got the highest praise a preview can get from my old man, "Well, that looks like it might be pretty good."

From my dad, that means he's expecting the Citizen Kane of monkey movies.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Cryptobadger said...

Jolene still hasn't seen the original. I grew up on it.

One thing I don't think most folks know about the original was how truly violent it was. The first half was non-stop dinosaurs eating people. The apatosaurus eats like five guys (!). Great stuff.

The other truly memorable scene in that original film for me lasts about 20 seconds. A women is asleep in her bed. Kong is climbing her apartment building. He peers through her window. He grabs her, looks at her for a moment... and drops her a hundred stories to the pavement below. She screams the whole way down. Truly a nightmare.

Peter Jackson's trailers give me the shivers, the same shivers I got when I saw a Lord of the Rings trailer for the first time. I'm really excited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home