Half a Month There on Foot

You will find me at the corner of Speed and Power

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

World's Tallest Midget OR Hey buddy, can you spare a paradigm (shift)?

This is of interest to me, but it's kinda like being the World's Tallest Midget. For the moment.

My Tivo failed me in getting the last four episodes of my beloved Arrested Development so I had to resort to more Torrenty options. Now I'm going to have a hard time not watching shows in HD/widescreen.

My point: got the TV I wanted off the web. Just like my audio. Content is content is content. Or the podcast is the message, stupid. I dunno, but almost half a million people are listening to Ricky Gervais from their computer or iPod, and almost the same with TWIT. That's kinda cool.

Veronica Mars gets maybe 2 millions viewers and loses money for UPN. Ricky gets 400,000 downloads. Would he get the same if they charged say $.25/listen. If it's something that I plunk down $5 for a season I'd do it. Half the people listening, say they do the same. That's $1,000,000. For guys sitting a room making fun of each other.

Leo gets at least 300,000 downloads per week that he's able to track pretty well. To advertise let's say it's $50/1000 set of ears.

$15,000 per episode in advertising to a targeted audience of early adopters listening every week. $60,000/four weeks. And you can "subscribe" or donate to TWIT, so that's not even counting say 100,000 who could pay $2 each, or $200,000 per year.

That seems like a lot for a couple of guys sitting around talking tech, controlling all the content, all the distribution, and ultimately getting all the money.

The cool part: Leo is building a TV channel out of all of this. I already download his internet only show MacBreak.

It's a good time to enjoy content.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Cryptobadger said...

Getting Scott-McCloud flashbacks. You're right, if everyone pitches in a nickel/dime/quarter into the pot, and you've got a reader/listener/viewership of a bajillion people, you're gonna be a zillionaire.

All this means is that micropayments need to happen. The Google braintrust has got something in the works, supposedly. Paypal is too expensive to actually make this work.

It's all those transactions for under a dollar that really make it difficult to stay profitable. The iTunes project hit that sweet spot. "Not quite a dollar per sale."

Whoever gets this right is going to make a whole lot of money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home