Half a Month There on Foot

You will find me at the corner of Speed and Power

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Top 10 Favorite Christmas Movies, 10-6

My criteria is this: do I love it? Am I compelled to watch it if it's on the tube? Have I learned the true meaning of Jesus' Birthday?

10 Scrooged – A Christmas Carol done 80’s greed style. Bill Murray playing Bill Murray. I’m compelled to watch this whenever it’s on. It took years for me to accept that I really like this movie, which isn’t especially even-keeled. It’s kinda funny, then not funny for stretches.

9 The Muppet Christmas Carol – I came to The Muppet Christmas Carol rather late in the game. The thing that cements it in the Top 10: that damn song at the end and the way Michael Caine sells it.

8 Gremlins – Horrible monsters eating people all done up in the “I’m produced by Robert Zemeckis and Stephen Speilberg” style. I loved this movie as a kid: creepy, funny, and weird. The impact of Phobe Cates’ story about her father dying coming down the chimney resonates in my psyche today.

7 The Nightmare Before Christmas – Smushing two of the best (next to Arbor and Secretary’s Day) holidays together WITH stop motion animation and Henry “Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions” Selick directing. It’s like Oingo Boingo sings Christmas Carols. Love it, own it.

6 A Christmas Story – Another movie I’m compelled to watch any time it’s on, and good lord is it on a lot. Eminently quotable, very quirky, and there’s a leg lamp.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger feminist chick said...

Oooh, Muppet Christmas Carol... good one. "All of your pens have turned to inkcicles!" "Our assets are frozen!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home