Half a Month There on Foot

You will find me at the corner of Speed and Power

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

No mayo (an aborted post gets re-worked because Susan demanded content)

I try to get out of the office at least once a day, for errands, for workstuff, for lunch. Friday I went to the second location of an Italian restaurant that I have a weird association with, an almost visceral. Because of the amount of work I was doing, I didn't feel like driving far, and I could place my order and walk a few paces and get groceries.

So I order the "Something Italian That Means Beef Sandwich," not normally a sandwich I'd eat. But, I'm trying here. Order the sandwich, go to the grocery store for some essentials.

Students are back in town, meaning I fight my way through a line, wait ten minutes, see the one next to me is moving faster, hop lines. As I'm going through with my 12 items or less, I notice the guy behind me wearing a polo shirt from the Italian restaurant. He's carrying two big bags of regular Grocery Store brand potato chips.

"Wow," I thought "great for the customers with the generico-brand chips buddy." I worked at a deli before college, and the owners insisted on using what they considered the best ingredients available to them to turn a profit and meet their overhead. I've always thought that's a pretty solid way of doing business. And I'm fine with food that's not "gourmet" or "healthy," it's how I was raised. Meat in brown sauce! More of a water than a sauce, actually! And more "blackened sort of meat thing!"

I beat the guy out of the grocery store and loaded my purchases into my truck. I started back to the restaurant and saw the guy beelining for the door. He went into the kitchen, and about forty-five seconds later, I got my bag o' food.

Not being a fan of these guys already, their third chance was well on the way of being "it' of "Alright, that's IT." Generic chips for one of their signature sandwiches.

The sandwich was outstanding. May have been hunger, may have been my arteries rejoicing in more red meat to clog them, but I really liked it. And the first chip, the sacrificial first bite of many subsequent bites of bitching and moaning, actually complimented the sandwich. Maybe not by intent or design, but it was okay.

Lesson: ... I'm sure there's a few. But I sure as hell stopped being so damn picky and finished the commercial I was cutting in record time.

This could have been better told, but 'Gilmore Girls' is on tonight. I bet there'll be fast talking...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home