Half a Month There on Foot

You will find me at the corner of Speed and Power

Monday, March 06, 2006

Amy's mom wins award, and it's not that kind!

Logan County teachers win Arch Coal awards

CHARLESTON
Banner Staff Report
— Twelve outstanding classroom teachers in West Virginia received the coveted Arch Coal Inc. Teacher Achievement Awards. Two of the teachers were from one local school, Chapmanville Middle School.

Lynn Gleason and Barbara Henson, two of the only 12 teachers statewide, received a 2006 Arch Coal Teacher Achievement Award Wednesday afternoon. Robert W. Shanks, president of Arch Coal’s eastern operations, representing Steven F. Leer, Arch Coal president and chief executive officer, made the announcement during a presentation ceremony at the state capitol. He was accompanied by West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin; First Lady Gayle Manchin; Secretary of Education and Arts Kay Goodwin; Deputy State Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jack McClanahan; and West Virginia Education Association President Charles Delauder.

“We are proud to honor these teachers who do so much for the children of West Virginia,” said Steven F. Leer, Arch Coal’s president and chief executive officer. “Teaching excellence keeps our children and our country competitive locally and globally.”

“The key to the success of West Virginia’s education community is the thousands of teachers and educational professionals who provide outstanding leadership in the classroom,” said W.Va. Governor Joe Manchin. “The Arch Coal Teacher Achievement Awards recognize the highest level of achievement among educators who are truly committed to their craft. These individuals have mentored and inspired young students…encouraging our youngest generations…to excel in the classroom and reach for their dreams.”

Lynn Gleason believes all students can learn.

“It is my job to determine how I need to approach each student so that he or she can reach his or her full potential in my class,” she says. “Each student brings unique life experiences and abilities that affect his/her learning. Students often come to class with an overload of problems from home. I believe that I can lighten their burdens by equipping them with skills for coping in their world beyond that classroom. A sense of humor and lots of patience are certainly required in this profession,” she adds. “But rewards are reaped exponentially.”

“Lynn Gleason is the science teacher we wish every child could have,” said Leer. “I’m sure her classroom is an exciting place of exploration and discovery. I know she is successful in her goal of having every child achieve success.”

Gleason teaches science to fifth-grade students at Chapmanville Middle School.

“Having taught for over 30 years, I can easily recognize an exceptional teacher, and Lynn Gleason is one of the finest,” notes a colleague, Terilyn Wilson. “She consistently demonstrates sound, effective and creative teaching strategies.

“Lynn greets her students with enthusiasm and a friendly smile each morning. Students never know what to expect when they enter the creative center Lynn calls her classroom. Perhaps they will be making an electrical circuit quiz board or exploring the body systems via Internet and hands-on activities. Whatever the day’s choice, students are assured they are about to embark on an adventure as they explore a variety of science concepts,” said Wilson.

Gleason earned her bachelor’s degree at Marshall University and she continues her development through participation in workshops, conferences, and other education/training opportunities. She is a member of the W.Va. Science Cadre and has served as a student teacher supervisor. Gleason also has served in several leadership capacities for faculty senates in Chapmanville schools, and she was Logan County’s 2005 Teacher of the Year Award recipient. Gleason is vice president of the Theta Chapter of the International Delta Kappa Gamma Society, and she further supports her community through a range of church-related activities, one of which involves coordination of 150-180 boxes of necessities for area families each month.

Although Barbara Henson officially became a teacher at age 8, she didn’t earn her degree until 24 years later. “My father was killed in an accident, which left mom and me to take care of five children,” she notes. “I taught them to tie their shoes, keep themselves clean, get along with each other, help with household chores, and of course, I helped with lots of homework,” she adds.

Henson eventually married and had children of her own. Continuing her education was the furthest thing from Henson’s mind, until the day her doctor brought it up.

“He questioned me about my future and told me I was too smart to just live my life watching soap operas and getting fat lying on the sofa,” she recalls. “With my children now being of school age, he suggested I go back to school and do something meaningful with my life. I enrolled in college the very next semester. At age 32, I received my degree and became a teacher.”

That was 24 years ago, and Henson now ranks among the best in her profession.

“Barbara Henson has dedicated her life to teaching,” says Leer. “A physician suggested that she should do something meaningful, and like her students, Barbara listened. She is driven to be a contributor to her family and society. I’m proud that West Virginia has people like Barbara, who make the conscious decision to become teachers and to better entire communities.”

Henson teaches mathematics to fifth-grade students at Chapmanville Middle School.

“My enthusiasm for learning and my positive mental attitude are the most important things I do for my students,” she said. “They see that even if things go wrong you can learn from them and not be afraid to learn new things. They see that learning is what makes us grow into great people.

“I am motivated to teach because I have something to offer my students,” Henson adds. “I know I help to prepare them for the complicated and unknown future that lies ahead of them. At the end of each year, when I see just how far my students have come, I sit back, smile, and say to myself as I reflect on the year, ‘This is a good thing, and I surely chose the right profession!’”

Henson earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Marshall University and additional credentials at W.Va. State College. She continues her development through a range of training and learning opportunities. Henson is a member of her school’s Staff Development Council and the State Differentiated Instruction Cadre. She has served as a presenter on the advantages of differentiated instruction and as a member of the Curriculum Development and several textbook committees. Henson is a mentor for The Beginning Educator Internship Program and a coach for an Academic Challenge Team that won county, regional and national competitions over the past three years. She also coaches fifth- and sixth-grade Math Field Day teams. Henson further serves her community through involvement in church activities and civic organizations.

In addition to recognition, award recipients receive a $2,500 unrestricted cash prize, a distinctive trophy and a classroom plaque. The West Virginia Foundation for the Improvement of Education makes a $1,000 award to each recipient’s school, for use with at-risk students.

Arch Coal is supported by the West Virginia Department of Education, the West Virginia Education Association and the West Virginia Library Commission in program promotion. Arch Coal’s Teacher Achievement Awards is the longest running, privately sponsored teacher recognition program in the state. Nominations of the teachers are made by the public and selection is made by a blue-ribbon panel of the teachers’ peers – previous recipients of the award.

Information about each of the 12 recipients is posted on the Arch Coal Web site: www.archcoal.com.

3 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Cryptobadger said...

My public education and truncated attention span has limited my reading capacity to only one or two paragraphs at a time, sorry.

But that intro paragraph was awesome!

Go Amy's Mom!

That has to be a song title.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Digital Joey said...

Really, everybody at this point has "gone Amy's mom." It's inevitable...

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger sweetassgrandma said...

Uh huh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home